Here is my in-depth interview with Jakob Haq (of haQ attaQ) on mobile and iOS-based music making. It was conducted on Nov 30 2017 during my visit to Stockholm where I was also attending the 12th Art of Record Production conference to present my research on affordances of iOS apps.
In our chat, Jakob and I cover quite a lot of ground and discuss the present state as well as the future of mobile music making. It took a while to put it all together (particularly the audio editing on a laptop and rendering of the visualisation on an iPad) and I couldn’t be more happy with the outcome.
Below are the LINKS to the apps discussed in the interview (or used for the recording and visualisation of it).
And here’s a list of topics of our conversation (timestamps are included too, although you have to click on the video description on YouTube for those to work:
1. 1:43 – Jakob’s start in music production (before using iOS tools).
2. 4:12 – Jakob’s perspective on live music performance.
3. 4:50 – Motivations for being a blogger and producing haQ attaQ.
4. 8:05 – Music release formats.
5. 11:31 – Personal inspirations.
6. 14:29 – Importance of mobility in the music making process.
7. 18:45 – The ease of access to music making.
8. 20:08 – Morning rituals boosting creativity.
9. 21:32 – Frustrations related to the iOS-based music making. What should change or be improved? What are the limitations of the iOS-based creative process?
10. 27:17 – Stability, reliability and limitations of iOS DAWs. The potential of iOS as a music making platform.
11. 31:56 – The pricing model of music apps.
12. 35:21 – Does anything set iOS DAWs apart from desktop counterparts?
13. 37:49 – TC-11 as an example of innovative music app design.
14. 40:42 – GUI design and the need for MIDI controllers.
15. 43:35 – Software and hardware developers in Sweden (and abroad).
16. 45:45 – Novation music making hardware.
17. 47:07 – How iOS limitations enhance creativity.
18. 50:59 – KRFT app as a live performance tool.
19. 52:05 – The best, most important or helpful aspects of iOS music making.
20. 53:53 – Lifespan of music apps.
21. 55:04 – Aspects of iOS music making workflow that are most important or helpful in getting musical outcomes.
22. 58:43 – Importance of various online communities of practice, for example the iPad musician Facebook group.
23. 1:02:23 – Jakob’s wish list for mobile music making tools. What should the future hold?
24. 1:08:30 – Environmental concerns.
25. 1:11:53 – Other innovative mobile music making technologies (outside of iOS).
26. 1:16:34 – Closing words.
Powered by Facebook Comments